I am a self-taught artist with Transylvanian roots living in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. Getting an engineering degree, followed by a career in information technology, left me with little room for artistic endeavours. My eye-opening moment was when I turned fifty and I realized that life was too short to let my dreams go to waste. So, I picked up a pencil and started drawing. I began exhibiting my pencil drawings a year later and has won several awards since in local and international art exhibitions for my graphite and pastel pencil works.
Today, I am a full time artist working in a wide range of media, from graphite and pastel pencils to oils, acrylics and mixed media.
I have finally found my way and am following the path that was always meant for me. It feels incredibly liberating to know that I am following my passion and that all my efforts are leading me closer to my goals.
As an active member of several art organizations in the Ottawa area, I exhibit throughout the year in selected community and commercial galleries, most notably at the Foyer Gallery.
My greatest passion lies in the realistic portraying of the human form. There’s something about the way the body moves and the emotions it can convey that continues to fascinate me. Whether through a stroke of a brush or a simple pencil line, I find myself drawn to exploring these nuances and complexities. From the graceful curves of a woman to the rugged lines of a man, each person holds within them a unique story, a unique perspective. I connect with my subject on a deep level, trying to convey their essence and personality by observing every detail, every line, every shade. It truly is a profound and rewarding experience to create a representation of someone’s essence, and the connection I feel with the figure is something that stays with me long after the artwork is finished.
I am currently working on a series of water-themed oil paintings, all created in 2023. In these paintings, I aim to evoke a sense of energy and movement surrounding the main figure immersed in water or underwater, while trying to depict the fluid translucency of the water itself using techniques ranging from impressionism to hyperrealism. Water-themed figurative works have an enduring appeal for me that continue to captivate me, and hopefully I can convey this feeling and emotion to the viewer.
- 1st Place Award, Works on Paper for ‘Thinking Cap’, Arteast Ottawa’s Juried Awards Exhibition, 2023
- Honourable Mention for ‘Holding On To The Dream‘, West Carleton Arts Society’s Spring Fling, 2023
- 3rd Place Award, Works on Paper for ‘Morning Bath at the Lake’, Arteast Ottawa’s Juried Awards Exhibition, 2018
- 1st Award for Excellence, Judges’ Choice Award, 1st Members’ Choice Award for ‘Alter Ego’ at Nepean Fine Arts League’s Annual Exhibition, 2018
- 3rd Members’ Choice Award for ‘Aromatherapy’ at Nepean Fine Arts League’s Annual Awards Exhibition, 2017
- Special Merit Award for ‘Homeward Bound’ at Light Space & Time’s ‘Seasons’ international online competition, 2017
- 1st Prize in Works on Paper for ‘Dripping’ at Arteast Ottawa’s Juried Awards Exhibition, 2015
- Special Merit Award for ‘Old Iraqi Man’ at Light Space & Time’s Open Art international online competition, 2014
- 3rd Prize in Works on Paper for ‘Deep-Rooted Bittersweet Memories (Self-Portrait)’, Arteast’s Juried Awards Exhibition, 2014
- 1st Award of Excellence in Works on Paper for ‘Dripping’, Nepean Fine Arts League’s Members’ Night Exhibition, 2014
- 3rd Prize in Works on Paper for ‘Angie’, Ottawa Art Association’s Members’ Choice Awards, 2013
- 3rd Prize in Works on Paper for ‘My Childhood Picture’, Arteast’s Juried Awards Exhibition, 2013
- Director’s Choice Award for ‘Still looking ahead’, Infinity Gallery’s Figurative Art Expo international online exhibition, 2013
- Honourable Mention and 2nd Members’ Choice Awards for ‘Young and old’, Nepean Fine Arts League’s Members’ Night Exhibition, 2013
1701 Woodroffe Avenue
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Carleton Place Gallery
(Until February 2, 2024)
210 Bridge Street
Carleton Place, Ontario, Canada
A selection of my works and prints can be purchased on these art marketplaces:
- Foyer Gallery Shop (local only – original artworks)
- Artfinder (international – original artworks)
- Fine Art America (international – prints & other apparel)
If you are interested in an artwork, please contact me.
Follow me on Social Media!